If you notice, I have many low carb recipes on this blog. I try to follow a reduced carb diet versus a totally low carb diet. I try to find recipes that offer healthy versions of my favorite foods. Mexican food is certainly one of my favorites. These Cream Cheese Chicken Stuffed Peppers are a great low carb option. My problem with going totally low carb is I can’t give up bread and other foods with carbs. So, I go with low carb options and try to eat everything else in moderation.
You can customize this recipe to your tastes. If you like your food a little more spicy, add more jalapeños or use hot salsa. If you want an appetizer version of this use the smaller bell peppers you can find in the grocery stores now. Little bite size versions of this recipe.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Slice the peppers in half and place in a baking dish.
Combine the chicken, cream cheese, cheeses, jalapeño, cumin and salt. This recipe is perfect if you have left over chicken. Shred or dice the chicken. If you don’t have left over chicken, buy chicken tenders and cook them in a skillet until done. I dust them with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder for extra flavor. If I use the tenders, I simply dice the cooked chicken so it easy combines with the other ingredients.
Spoon the chicken mixture evenly into the bell peppers. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
Cream Cheese Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- 2 cups chicken cooked and shredded or diced
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened; room temperature
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese grated
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese grated
- 1 jalapeno minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 4 bell peppers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice peppers in half and remove the seeds and membrane. Place in a baking dish. I used a 9 x 13.
- Add chicken, cream cheese, cheeses, jalapeño, cumin, salt and salsa to a medium bowl and stir well to combine.
- Spoon chicken mixture evenly into each halved pepper.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Serve immediately.