I am a true fan of pumpkin pie. When Fall arrives, I know it’s time for pumpkin pie. I have tried many versions, and all fall short of the original Libby’s Pumpkin Pie recipe. The secret? Molasses. The original recipe used molasses, which gives the pie its dark color and great depth of flavor. How do I know this is the best? I sent an extra pie over to my daughter-in-law’s family dinner. Her cousin is a self proclaimed pumpkin pie expert. After one bite he declared this version as the best he has ever had.
This pie is so easy to make. The recipe makes two pies but I have made it as one deep dish version and simply baked it longer. Either way, the recipe works. To save time, I use pre-made pie crust. The refrigerated version by Pillsbury I find works the best. I let it sit out on the counter to come to room temperature before I roll it into the pie plate. I don’t pre-bake them because I like the crust to be a bit softer.
As you can see, it’s mouthwatering!
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare your pie shells. Like I said earlier I use pre-made. You can make homemade pie crust; totally up to you.
In a large mixing bowl, combine pumpkin and eggs. I use a hand mixer to ensure the mixture is smooth.
Add sugar, salt and spices to pumpkin mixture.
Stir in evaporated milk and the molasses.
Pour half of the mixture into each of the prepared pie shells and bake for 40-45 minutes.
Cool and garnish with whipped topping.
Libby's Pumpkin Pie
- 3 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/3 cups evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 pie shells
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs and pumpkin.
- Add sugar, salt and spices to pumpkin mixture.
- Stir in evaporated milk. Add molasses and blend.
- Prepare your pie shells. I use pre-made pie crust. You can use homemade; your choice.
- Pour half of your mixture into each of the pie shells. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted 2 inches from edge comes out clean.
- Cool. Serve with a garnish of whipped cream.